Deputy Minister of Sport and Recreation SA (since 10 May 2004)
- Date of Birth: 10 May 1957
- Matriculated in 1976 at Rustenburg High School
- Deputy Minister of Sport and Recreation in the Republic of South Africa, since 10 May 2004 to present date.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Sciences from Rand Afrikaans University (RAU). Cum Laude in Major.
- Bachelor of Arts Honours degree in Development Studies from (RAU) Suma Cum Laude.
- Various other courses and study tours.
- Member of the South African Air Force up to the Rank of Captain (1980 - 1983).
- Self employed (1984 - 1987).
- Elected as Member of Parliament for the Constituency of Pretoria Central (6 May 1987 - 1994).
- Re-elected as Member of Parliament (1994 - 1999).
- Whip in Parliament (1989 – 2 July 1999).
- Joined the African National Congress (ANC) on 24 October 2000.
- Deployed to the National Parliament from 16 February 2001 to date.
- Served as member of the ANC Strategy Committee in Parliament (2001- 2004)
- Served as member of the Portfolio Committee of Correctional Services (2001- 2004)
- Served as member of the Portfolio Committee on Defence (2001- 2011)
- Served on the Joint Defence Committee (2001- 2004)
- Appointed as Deputy Minister of Sport and Recreation SA on 10 May 2004 (on his birthday).
- As Deputy Minister, oversaw the implementation of the Ministerial Task Team Report on Rationalisation of Sport in SA.
- Played a major role as member of the Inter-Ministerial Organising and Planning Committee hosting the 2010 FIFA Soccer World Cup (Awarded to South Africa in May 2004) successfully in 2010, under the Chairmanship of the Deputy President of the Republic of South Africa.
- Re - appointed as Deputy Minister of Sport and Recreation SA by President Jacob Zuma on 11 May 2009, until present date.
- Elected by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) as the Vice- Chairperson of the UNESCO Fund for the Elimination of Doping in Sport during October 2009; representing South Africa.
- Elected by the United Nations Office on Sport for Development and Peace(UNOSDP) as the Chairperson of the Thematic Working Group on Sport for Development and Peace, which is one of the five International Working groups resorting under the UNOSDP office of the Special Advisor to the United Nations Secretary General for the period May 2011- 2012 ;representing South Africa
- Elected by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) as the Chairperson of the Third Session of the UNESCO Conference of Parties to the International Convention against Doping in Sport during November 2011; representing South Africa.
- Deputy Minister is a renowned public speaker and an excellent debater.
- Deputy Minister is also an outstanding marksman and likes to hunt, if the time allows.
- Played rugby for the first XV at Rustenburg High School as well as Craven Week.
- Enjoys a game of chess and likes to play a social round of golf.